Just like the stages of grief, there are stages to happiness. The reason why I decided to write about this is because I notice so many people who really miss out of some of these stages. They do something special for someone in their life and it provides some momentary happiness or joy and then it fades into the background…and I can see there’s so much more enjoyment that can be squeezed out of those experiences. I think being happy is a choice akin to riding on a particular wavelength. You can choose happiness in this very moment!
Here’s some ways that you can jump on this wave:
1. Anticipation/Planning. You already start to feel happy knowing that you will have some kind of experience, event, gift, celebration, or something like that happening in the future. Planning out the details is another way to build the anticipation. If it’s traveling maybe the details are about where you’ll stay or what kinds of activities you’d be interested in doing. If it’s a gift you’re giving to someone maybe you’re planning the perfect presentation or a fun new way to decorate the gift.
2. The Experience/Thing itself. The moment the thing has arrived! You are now in the present moment experience of the thing that makes you happy! This could be one of the things mentioned above, or it could be something as simple as listening to your favorite band with headphones, cooking a meal, going for a walk, smelling the roses, or chilling with friends & pets.
3. Capturing the Moment. Taking photos or videos is a great way to capture the essence of the moment. You might also build or make something together with someone. Examples of things I’ve made with others that conjure fond memories are: paintings, a hydroponic system, dance choreography, picking items for interior design, and collage art. This allows you to look back on the experience and remember the feeling from that time. It also allows you to share your happiness with others.
4. Reviewing. Looking back on fond times either in your mind or by viewing the stuff you made when you were capturing the moment. One thing I like to do is make a new playlist for each season of a year. This way, whenever I listen back to that playlist, I’m able to remember all the feelings and experiences I had during that time.
5. Gratitude! You can do this step at any time for things past, present, or future. I personally like to write out my gratitude list every evening so I can go to sleep feeling blessed by the abundance in my life. I am grateful for you and the opportunity to share ways to get on the happiness vibe.
If you have additional tips or additional stages of happiness you want to share, write them in the comments below!